What is the measure of man? How do you measure a man's life? I don't know the answer, but these are some of the things I found along the way in my life...
___________________________________________

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Measure of Life

I have been struggling with the measurement of life for a while now. This has been kicking around in me since I have started this blog. There are so many ways to measure a person's life in the eyes of the people that lived around them. There are many more ways to measure life even by those people who did not live around the person. The reason this is coming to the forefront of my mind is that I am going to another funeral tomorrow. I didn't know this person, the only definition of this person that I will be able to get is the one that is presented in the eulogy tomorrow. I have heard about people who have written their own eulogies and have even had their memorial services while they were still alive. That to me though is telling people how you wanted to measure up and not how they measured your life. I am not quite sure how I want to be known after I have died. I am not quite certain of the mark that I expect to leave on the world after I am gone. I want to be so many things, but can I be so many things and be good in all of them at the same time? Or will the quality suffer for lack of focus? I do know one thing about my death and memorial service--I want it to be a celebration. I want people to understand that the sadness and grief over death of a loved one is a selfish emotion. Though they are normal emotions, I don't want that to be the focus of the service. I want my service to conclude with a standing ovation of a life well lived and a purpose accomplished. I want people to applaud the fact that my spirit is no longer restricted by time, age and sadness and all of the things that come with them. I want them to celebrate the fact that I have arrived in my final home and I will forever be in the presence of my God, my King and My Father.


Be Blessed and Be a Blessing!

Mike

No comments: