What is the measure of man? How do you measure a man's life? I don't know the answer, but these are some of the things I found along the way in my life...
___________________________________________

Friday, July 20, 2007

Love and Hate

I have heard over and over again the phrase of "Love the sinner and hate the sin." Most of the time it is used in the context of a group that the church has done its best to keep at its periphery for years and is now realizing that that mode of action has been wrong and now want to incorporate that group. Again most of the time I have seen it used specifically when a writer has been talking about the gay sector of society. For so long this group has been the outcasts of the church and not made to feel very welcome in the sanctuaries of God's House. Now many churches are "turning a blind eye" to the very the things that kept these people segregated from the fellowship of the house of God with the covering of saying that we need to love the sinner and hate the sin. I have looked and looked but I cannot find that approach or method of evangelizing in the Bible anywhere. Maybe I am not seeing it or am reading something out of context, but I cannot find that anywhere in the Bible. I do see the first part of that though. Love. Love was at the very foundation of what Jesus spent His time in ministry teaching. He actively loved the people in society that society itself had deemed unworthy of love. In fact the fact that Jesus was even here on earth walking with men is a sign of just how much He loved us. Nowhere can I find where He told someone I love you but hate what you do or hate the sin that has you tripped up. He went from town to town teaching and being moved by the love He felt for people and the compassion that He had on their condition of life (spiritual ans physical). Love. Its that simple. Its what He taught and its how He lived. Love the sinner, they don't have to know that you hate their actions. What they do is a part of them. You can't tell someone you love them, pass judgement on their actions and then expect them to believe you love them. Love, the real kind of love that we are shown in Jesus' teachings and actions will speak louder than any word we can ever speak and will show the ones we are loving the truth faster than any sermon we could ever preach.

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing!
Mike

No comments: