What is the measure of man? How do you measure a man's life? I don't know the answer, but these are some of the things I found along the way in my life...
___________________________________________

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Life Mapped Out

I was with my oldest niece today in the car waiting for my other two nieces to get out of school. I was keeping up to date with current events on my blackberry and she pulled out some homework. I casually glanced over at her paper she was writing on and saw the title--Dreams. It was an essay brainstorm sheet that asked her to think about what her dreams for her future were. I didn't ask her about it because I didn't want to stifle her creative process and I didn't want her to know that I was looking at her paper so I had to bust out my high school cheating skills and look without being caught. I won't tell you what I saw on the paper because those are her dreams to share. I will say however that she impressed me. This generation of kids in our family is being raised very differently that my generation was. I have often wondered how they will turn out. I was happy to see that some of the values that I had growing up, in terms of keeping the things that were important to me close to me as I grew up, were on her paper. She knew what she wanted to be when she was older, she knew where she wanted to be and she knew who she wanted in her life. She added some new things along the way and still managed to keep some constants.

Its nice to think about things like the future and have them all mapped out. I had that at one time. It seems lately the only thing I can count on is not being able to count on anything. That is not a bad thing by any means. I mean to say that I live what is in front of me while it is here and let God worry about my tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. It is good to have goals. I have just learned to put God at the top of my goal list to remind me that everything else under Him on the list is all dependent on His will for my life.

No comments: