What is the measure of man? How do you measure a man's life? I don't know the answer, but these are some of the things I found along the way in my life...
___________________________________________

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Wisdom? Maybe Not So Much...

I like Starbucks. In fact I love it. I dig the coffee, the atmosphere, the wireless; I even thought the little The Way I See It quotes on the cups were cool. Quick little thoughts, something to get you thinking; maybe even a conversation starter for later. THEN I saw this where quote number really set someone off. I can see why:

The Way I See It #247 Why in moments of crisis do we ask God for strength and help? As cognitive beings, why would we ask something that may well be a figment of our imaginations for guidance? Why not search inside ourselves for the power to overcome? After all, we are strong enough to cause most of the catastrophes we need to endure. -- Bill Scheel Starbucks customer from London, Ontario. He describes himself as a "modern day nobody."

So I did a little Google Search and saw this too:

The Way I See It #230 Heaven is totally overrated. It seems boring. Clouds, listening to people play the harp. It should be somewhere you can’t wait to go, like a luxury hotel. Maybe blue skies and soft music were enough to keep people in line in the 17th century, but Heaven has to step it up a bit. They’re basically getting by because they only have to be better than Hell. -- Joel Stein Columnist for the Los Angeles Times.

When I see things like this or hear these kinds of words coming from someone's mouth, it just reaffirms for me that, as disciples of Christ we have a lot of ground to cover. Mr. Scheel was right about something, I am strong enough to cause most of the catastrophes we need to endure. He was even right about the fact that when I am in trouble I do reach down within myself for the power to overcome. I do that because that is where my power, My God, lives--deep down inside my soul.

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing.
Mike

No comments: